Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

73-86 Chev 350 Emmisions Question

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 1:32 PM
Trc
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73-86 Chev 350 Emmisions Question

Hey all, I am turning a 1986 K-10 Suburban into a 3/4 ton trail/tow rig. Most of the parts are coming from a 73 K-20 Camper special pickup I bought for parts. I am replaceing the worn out 350 in the 86 subur. with the low milage, rebuilt, higher performance 350 out of the truck. Due to my limited knowledge and ongoing learning, I am under the impression I am going to have to keep all the emmmisions crap on the Subur. to get it to pass E-test and be street legal. I am going to swap the intake manifold and carb to Edlebrock 350-3701 intake and 1806 Thunder Series AVS Carburetor which I am told, will help get the most out of the higher performance engine but still be stock configuration to put all the emmisions stuff back on. Heres the twist and my question, the stock emmisions configuration on subur. is YFC which is a 4-barrel, Low altitude setup. I do most of my offroading in the mountians between 7k & 10k feet. After studing my Chiltons, I noticed the YFF configuration for 4 barrel, high altitude is very similar with just a few vacum hose changes. Question: can I reconfigure to YFF with all of the same/stock emmision control components and same ECM computer, or if not, which coponents and possibly computer, would I need to replace with YFF specific parts. Any help with this little issue would be greatly appreciated.