Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

87 El Camino Small block 350

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2021, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 El Camino Small block 350

Hello Chevy friends I inherited my fathers 1987 El Camino after his passing last month. It has a GM small block 350 with only 56000 miles on it. I drove it up the central coast to my house after it had been sitting for a couple months seemed fine...drove it around for a couple weeks then one day it bogged out and stalled at a light. The check engine light came on as well. It eventually started back up again it continued to drive home. This continued to happen. My limited knowledge of this vehicle I have been trying to figure out the source of the problem through YOUTUBE videos...then yesterday I took of the air filter unplugged all the hoses from the carburetor it started up first turn and idled fine I put the hoses and air filter back on drove it around for about 20 no problems no stalling and today same thing no problems no stalling. So my question is what would make it do that and how can I stop it from happening aging so it runs smooth. Thanks for anyone looking out I really want my old mans 87 to keep running good.
Old June 11th, 2021, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. Looks like you have the "fuel-injected 4.3 L V6" in your El Camino.

I have a fuel injected 1987 G30 Sportsvan (it's actually a small RV).

I've been chasing a transmission kickdown issue with mine and I have been learning tons about the fuel injection in these early vehicles (for mine, 1987 was the first year).

I'll be watching your thread as nobody is answering mine. I think it's pretty hard to find folks that know these 1987s...

I can tell you that there are several components that the "computer" uses to properly deliver fuel, much like cars today. This makes troubleshooting much harder than on carbureted engines...

Good luck!
Old June 11th, 2021, 5:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by WaveJones
Hello Chevy friends I inherited my fathers 1987 El Camino after his passing last month. It has a GM small block 350 with only 56000 miles on it. I drove it up the central coast to my house after it had been sitting for a couple months seemed fine...drove it around for a couple weeks then one day it bogged out and stalled at a light. The check engine light came on as well. It eventually started back up again it continued to drive home. This continued to happen. My limited knowledge of this vehicle I have been trying to figure out the source of the problem through YOUTUBE videos...then yesterday I took of the air filter unplugged all the hoses from the carburetor it started up first turn and idled fine I put the hoses and air filter back on drove it around for about 20 no problems no stalling and today same thing no problems no stalling. So my question is what would make it do that and how can I stop it from happening aging so it runs smooth. Thanks for anyone looking out I really want my old mans 87 to keep running good.
What condition are the vacuum lines? Could be you had a leak with one of them, and resetting it stopped it, for now. If these are old, replace them.