Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

'91 TBI 350 high idle, miss, nearly impossible to start

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 TBI 350 high idle, miss, nearly impossible to start

I have a 1984 gmc truck that was originally a 6.2 diesel and was converted to a 350 from a 1991 or 1992 (i think) truck. It has the throttle body setup and has worked fine until lately. First it started idling high a couple of minutes after startup but would fluctuate between high and normal idle while driving. Then it developed the problem of wanting to sputter and kinda miss a little when you take your foot off the gas and press again (while driving). Now it has begun to be EXTREMELY hard to start. Its almost like it's flooded. It won't fire at all until you hold the pedal to the floor while turning over and after SEVERAL seconds it will try to fire but you have to work the accelerator back and forth between on-the-floor and almost-on-the-floor for awhile and with luck it'll sputter to life. Then it has a tendency to die once you put it in Drive and the cycle repeats. It seems that if you immediately try to start it back it will fire off more easily than if you let it sit for a minute or two before trying it. This was my grandpa's truck and I'm resurrecting it to keep it from wasting away in the barn. It sat for about 8 years before i dug it out and got it going and then only had the idling and slight miss problem. The tranny went bad and it sat again for a year. I just installed the new trans and now am facing the starting/dying issues along with the original problems. When I moved it to the shop to take out the bad trans , I recall it being hard to start but I assumed it was from sitting so long, guess I was wrong. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by scootersoffroad; January 19th, 2010 at 5:10 PM.
Old January 19th, 2010, 5:37 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the timing, wires and distributor? Does it crank hard? Sounds to me like a timing problem.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check all ignition components. also look for vacuum leaks. check every single vacuum line at, on, around motor.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed it ! It was the Coolant Temp Sensor next to the water neck/thermostat. Doesn't techology make you want to pull your hair out sometimes? HAHA ! Thanks for the advice everybody
Old January 22nd, 2010, 3:33 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that you found the problem, I thought that may be a possible cause but it didn't come to mind right away. I had a similar problem a couple years ago.