Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 Z71 Popping, Wheezing, Farting, Stalling and Dying....only to restart and run fine

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2018, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z71 Popping, Wheezing, Farting, Stalling and Dying....only to restart and run fine

I have an operational issue I need help with. It started last year when preparing to go on vacation, I loaded up the 94 GMC Z71 (305 c.i.) with our golf cart (800 lbs) in the bed and our 20' flats boat on the hitch and took off. Everything was fine until I entered the elevated access ramp to the Interstate whereas the truck started bucking, popping, wheezing, backfiring and it stalled and died. After pulling over and trying to figure out what just happened, I restarted it and away we went, only to have it occur several minutes later.
I returned home and parked it and loaded up the boat to our SUV and left.
Upon return, after unloading the golf cart, she ran fine and had no such issues... until just recently whereas, without cargo, she started doing the same thing with the same results. I turn off the key and restart her and she runs fine until the next episode. which may be moments or weeks later!?

I am not savvy to electrical issues but I believe this is an electrical issue, however, I have tried to research it online and have read everything from the ECM to the distributor, sensors, EGR valve etc.and I don't wish to start replacing random parts and would like to zero-in on the probable cause and solution.

One thing that seems to be consistent is the problem occurs when the truck is under loads, such as going up a gradual incline (we're Florida flat-landers) or entrance ramp etc. Due to this, I believe it may be the ECM due to it stopping after turning off the key and restarting which seems as though the ECM is resetting itself. Also, the last time this occurred (while we were going up a grade on the Interstate) and it started bucking and popping and I turned off the key and restarted it while coasting, and all of a sudden, the automatic transmission wouldn't go into gear,! coasted to the side and stopped and turned it off, allowing it to set for a few seconds, restarted it, placed it in gear and all worked as it should again during the 20-mile trip home. ...I may be wrong, but I believe the transmission is also controlled by the ECM thus my reasoning.

I would very much like to hear from those who have had similar experiences and suggestions for correction before I take it to a mechanic and incur diagnostic costs which could be significant if they cannot simulate the issue.

Thank you in advance!!.
Old June 24th, 2018, 9:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I realize this is obd1, do you get a check engine light? I'm off the top thinking throttle position sensor.
Old June 25th, 2018, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! The enh=gine light seems to be on often and I believe it due to the fuel cap or? It's been doing that for the past 6 or 7 years but this wheezing, sputtering and such is recent and occasional.
Would the OBD 1 provide a reading or any help?