Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

96 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab v8

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab v8

Hi ladies and Gents!

I just joined the forum. I bought this 96 silverado with 150xxx miles on it a few months ago. Since then it has been great. I have however noticed a few things:

1.) Low idle (In neutral its 500 rpm and at constant speed 1500 rpm)
Extreme fluctuation of oil pressure gauge (80 during acceleration and 40 other times. Usually in the middle at constant speed.)

Yesterday I was finishing up a 3 hour drive and going up a decent sized hill. I had the pedal to the floor and the truck could barely get me up the hill. I was in fact reducing speed. I had notice the lack of power on the ride, but I wasn't sure it it was like that the whole time and I was just recognizing it or if it was a new issue. That hill solidified it for me.

So, Can anyone help me on this? I have the Haynes manual for trouble shooting, but i didn't find my questions in there.

Please and thank you!!

Barbie
Old June 10th, 2014, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 96 I bought at an auction. Had 150,000 miles. I had the same problem as you. I hook up to my camper and it would barley pull it. I used 1/4 tank of gas to go 12 miles to the campground.
I sold it to my cousin. A few months later the distributor broke. In the prosess of fixing that he leaned on a pipe on the intake manifold and broke it off. He took the intake off seen it was full of gunk and cleaned it all out.
It runs better now than it ever did all kinds of *****.

My boss had a 96 also. Same issue he just traded it off.