Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98' C2500 pick up 5.7 will not crank

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2014, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' C2500 pick up 5.7 will not crank

I am at the Hair pulling stage and I don't have much left! Please help!

I have a no crank situation with my 98' chevy 2500 5.7 vortec. It started right up yesterday; I drove to bank ran in and out, truck would not start. 30 minutes later it started. I then drove home, ran in grabbed something and it would not start again. 30 minutes later it started. I drove to store it would not restart, towed it home to my shop where it sits now. I have gone through all the usual steps of testing everything from the key up to the starter. Here is what I have so far:

1) Remote switch to starter and it cranks. Bench test starter not necessary at this point I believe.
2) multi meter to S post on starter, key to ignition position, meter shows 11.2 volts at S post, key off meter shows 0 volts.
3) swapped out starter relay with brand new one, no changes. Tested both sides of relay block(constant and key on) 12.9 volts.
4) Security system light does go out after 5 seconds, so that is not issue, I think?
5) adjusted neutral safety switch every which way, no change. tried to start in neutral, no change.

It would appear that from the key to the starter all the power is where it should be!???? What am I missing???

Many Thanks In Advance!!!!!!