Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98 chevy tahoe keep on stopping on the road

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2006, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 chevy tahoe keep on stopping on the road

I bought a 98 chevy tahoe and about a month or 2 later I started having this problem. When im driving, it will slow down and then stop and then I will have to turn off the car and then start it back and sometimes it will start moving again and sometimes it wont unless I wait for about couple of mins.

Also, if I reach to a red light and stop the car, when the light change back to green, then damn car wont move and everyone will start blowing their horn on me. I will have to turn the car off again on the light and then start the car back up and sometimes by that time the light will change back to red so I will just get stuck on that light in the middle of the road ah.

Now, everytime this happen, a check gages and the battery icon will show up on the dashboard.

The car is now parked at my place because i'm not going to risk driving it and I am trying to save myself from embarassment and such on the road and also me going late to work.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be?

I need to get this fixed quickly instead of it being parked while im paying insurance on it which is not cool.

Your help will truly be appreciated.
Old August 26th, 2006, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 98 chevy tahoe keep on stopping on the road

might be a distributor pick-up or a bad connection at the battery(positive terminal) clean the top of your battery, clean off any white corrosion. could also be a cracked or corroded distributor cap/rotor. Fuel filter might be clogged. also changing your plugs,wires,and coil are usually a good thing to do after buying a second hand car. you never know what they have or haven't done to it. but definatly check your distributor, i think its electrical.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
CF Senior Member

I would agree with mopar that it seems to be electrical except for one thing which could also be in light that if you shut it off most of the time it moves again. (this was stated in a post on the silverado forum, but makes sense to me)
Crack your brake lines at the caliper you should have some fluid come out, you may have to hit the brakes once, (make sure if you do this you keep fluid in the resivor. (sorry I can't spell very well.) If you get fluid you should be good if not it could be that your master cylinder is stuck. which seems likely to me. On something that new I have heard several different ways to bleed the brakes. I would call a dealership and a good mechanic and see what they say if you so chose to change your master cylinder. If not that I would think a sticking or maybe two sticky calipers or an electrical ABS problem.
How many miles does it have on it?
Good Luck!
Old August 27th, 2006, 3:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean won't move? Does the motor rev. up, does it shut off, does the motor seem to struggle, etc. We need some more info.
Old October 8th, 2006, 9:07 PM
CF Pro Member

You should have your electrical system checked, starting with the charging and / or battery.

If there is insufficient voltage the computers can get confused because of low or missing signals from the sensors.
Old October 17th, 2006, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

from the way you worded the post, I would say check your modulator valve or the coil packs in the tranny. Or it may just be a vacuum leak. Maybe you need to have the pcm flashed. take it to a tranny shop and have them run up the error codes for you.