Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98 s10 issues. Help please

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2019, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s10 issues. Help please

Been having issues with my '98 s10 4.3L V6 2wd. Sometimes when I go to start my truck I will turn the key and the engine will turn over and start kinda weakly and then stutter and die a few seconds later. It doesn't happen all the time..it seems to mostly happen after the truck has been sitting off for a couple hours. If I start it and immediately rev the gas before it dies the truck will stay running but I have to gently ease off the gas pedal or it will die again(like a 5 second rev). If I let off the gas too quickly the dash lights will go a little dim and it will stutter and die. After I do that the truck runs perfectly fine no other issues. I usually get it running on the first try.

I've also noticed-In the morning I'll go out and do this and then go back inside to let the truck warm up since it's been about 20-30°F here. When I go to get back in the truck after about 10 minutes the temp gauge has not moved at all and the heat is still blowing lukewarm to cool air but the oil pressure gauge has risen a little more than the halfway point. After I start driving the temp gauge starts rising to where it should be, the oil pressure evens out and the heat starts blowing hot. I have no idea what could be causing these issues and I want to know what I can do to fix it or troubleshoot and narrow down what is causing it. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old December 15th, 2019, 10:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Likely might a vacuum leak, but you might have a bad fuel fuel pressure regulator or a fuel pump on is on its way south. How many miles do you have? What have you done to try and repair it it? Might have fuel injectors going bad too. The SCFI furl injectors have a ball poppet on each unit. Cheap gasoline will build up over time and they wont work properly. Might be a good idea to get a bottle of Seafoam or better, Techron complete fuel system cleaner, drop it down the tank, get it up to op-temp, find a road not used much like lots of county roads, punch it hard but only on a dry straight road, no snow or water on the surface as you'll be running real hot for a few miles,. Hopefully that will clean your fuel injectors out.if that's an issue.
Old December 15th, 2019, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Likely might a vacuum leak, but you might have a bad fuel fuel pressure regulator or a fuel pump on is on its way south. How many miles do you have? What have you done to try and repair it it? Might have fuel injectors going bad too. The SCFI furl injectors have a ball poppet on each unit. Cheap gasoline will build up over time and they wont work properly. Might be a good idea to get a bottle of Seafoam or better, Techron complete fuel system cleaner, drop it down the tank, get it up to op-temp, find a road not used much like lots of county roads, punch it hard but only on a dry straight road, no snow or water on the surface as you'll be running real hot for a few miles,. Hopefully that will clean your fuel injectors out.if that's an issue.
has 102k on it. Im just starting to mess with it today. I have spray cleaned the MAF and am going to check the idle air control. If I have a vacuum leak it will be noticeable, right? Hissing noise?
Old December 15th, 2019, 2:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyharb
has 102k on it. Im just starting to mess with it today. I have spray cleaned the MAF and am going to check the idle air control. If I have a vacuum leak it will be noticeable, right? Hissing noise?
Not nessarily no it may not be audible with the engine running, which of course is the only way to hear a leak. I'd start tightening down thing and see if that help. might either toque the intake manifold down a bit or squirt, some WD-40 or break-free around the intake manifold and if it changes anything, then your intake manifold will need new gaskets. Remember it may be lower-mileage but it still is a 20-year-old unit. Might want to check all your ignition components. A good idea of cleaning the MAF btw.