Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

99 Tahoe Anti-freeze small, bad engine

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe Anti-freeze small, bad engine

I brought my tahoe to the shop on Tuesday, i was told the anti-freeze smell was coming from a bad manifold intake gasket. Cost would be about $600. I told them to fix it. next day they told me the oil had anti-freeze in it and the rod was knocking.
I checked the oil prior to bringing the tahoe in for service as well as 3 times prior. The tahoe had been smelling anti-freeze for about 2 weeks prior. I checked for leaks and the oil for anything. the oil was clean, perfect before bringing it in. Now the engine is bad I guess.
My question is this, How can the SUV be running fine with no anti-freeze in the oil and no rod knock prior to bringing it in, only to have been told the motor is bad and has to be replaced? Any help would be welcome. Thank you.
Old April 15th, 2010, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Hi Spart67,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

What's the mileage on your engine? What size? The more info we have, the better we can do on this end.

How well do you trust your shop? Trust is generally hard to come by in automotive repair circles these days...

Last edited by therewolf; April 17th, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe

1999 Chevy Tahoe, 89,000 miles, 2-door. 4x4.

The shop called me today and admitted to the fact the truck was not knocking before I brought it in and the oil was clean before they started.
They are going to repair the engine for free. Repalcing the bearings. He also told me most likely something was dropped in the motor when replacing the gasket.
Any thoughts on this at all is welcome. I am just glad they are fixing it for free.