Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

99 Z24 wont start electrical??

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2010, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Z24 wont start electrical??

hey guys new to this forum been on another forum for a while and just came across this one. ( this is a copy of my tread from the other forum) so heres the deal i have a 99 z24 2.4l 4speed auto. battery has been in and out and finally bit the dust. got a new battery for it, and it wouldnt stay running. then it wouldnt start at all. i pulled it home with our blazer, got it home . i figured it had something to do with the theft system. the theft light would stay on. eventually it went off and it started and had it running for about 2 mins. then all of a sudden it just died. no spit no sputter just complete loss of power! just like i turned the key off. ive had electrical problems in the past with this car, and unfortunatly no codes due to the battery being disconected. i did notice when the theft light is on, (key on not running) the check engine light is off i can here something intermittenly getting power and the check engine light flickers when this is happening. when the light stays on, the theft light goes out and it will start but immediatly stall. it seems to me like a loose wire somewhere just dont know where i should look. heres a list of things that have been replaced in the past:
new computer, used engine, new alternator, new starter, new plugs,wires,coilpacks, new cam sensor, anything else i should be looking at if the theft system is causing this is there a rest procedure? PLEASE HELP!!!! having one <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_1_0>vehicle</NOBR> is really hard Update since i wrote this on the other forum//// now i turn the key on, theft light still on, but now the check engine light will flicker for about 1/2 second and go ou.t tried theft system reset. leaving key on 15 mins not touching anything yadda yadda yadda, ive cleaned all grounds all power wires even took the fuse box
apart and cleaned in there. checked all fuses, all good im stumped!!! please i need help!!! thanx in advance
Old March 1st, 2010, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to take it to a shop that can scan all the modules. Definitely sounds like a theft problem. Not all scan tools can check the body module or theft module. A fail lock cylinder is a common problem. You could just toss one at it and see what happens. I am not a fan of doing that though, I would rather test and find out what it wrong.