Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Ac works when it wants to....

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2018, 8:39 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac works when it wants to....

Hi. new member here, I hope Im posting this in the right section. I apologize if not.

My dad has an 06 Avalanche, 5.3, 4x4, climate control, without rear ac. and the ac is charged with 1.8 ounces of freon. The problem we are having is it seems like the ac only works every other time he drives it, I know it sounds weird. He can get in to drive it one time and it will work. Get to his destination, cut it off and let it sit for a few minutes and when he gets back in it, the ac wont come on. Again let it set for a few minutes, and it works again. There has only been a couple of times, that I know of anyway, that it will stop working while he is driving it.

When its not working,When not working we get a signal from the controls to the computer but the computer isnt sending a signal to the compressor relay. you can manually introduce a ground to the relay and the compressor will kick in but none of the other system works. For example, the condenser fan, pressure sensors, etc. We straight wired the fan but the system would get so cold it would freeze up the evaporator and start working its way down the lines. We have replaced the low pressure switch, transducer, ecm and had it flashed, and have shimmed the ac clutch. I have chased all the wiring from the compressor back to the computer and none of them seem to have a short. So at this point I am at a complete loss and I dont know which way to go from here. any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.