Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Advice for Newbie

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2013, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice for Newbie

Hi Chevy Forum,
I'm new to this, my Uncle passed & left me his 1958 Chevrolet Bel Air (four door) with a 350ci, auto. It's been sitting for 12years and I had trouble gettin her off the trailer. I know little about cars let alone Classics, a mate said the coil it had-it (said he could barely get a spark), then said she was struggling to get fuel when he tried to start it. Took quite a bit if him cranking & dripping bit of fuel in carby, he said she was running "bit rough". In reverse she stalled trying to move off. After crawling forward then trying to reverse numerous times she finally crawled back with a little push. He said the "bands were sticking in the Trans"?
Please people, I need advice on where to start; what I need to do to restore this beautiful machine to good-running-order
Old October 14th, 2013, 7:50 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Would love to see some pictures of this beast of yours
I'd suggest staring with replacing fluids, if its been sitting for a while they have all probably taken in a fair amount of moisture...
I would also consider draining the gas tank and getting all the old fuel out...
Remove the carburetor consider rebuilding it or at least having it cleaned up as there is probably a lot of varnish build up from the old fuel....
Clean and gap the spark plugs and consider an overall tune up..
Given the age of the transmission, its probably time for some professional TLC...
you may be able to find a drop in replacement re-manufactured one...
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up thank you in2pro

thank you in2pro for the reply, sounds like a good starting point! I've got together some new spark plugs (old ones were pretty buggered) some new ignition leads on the way (couple had been touching the exhaust manifold).
I'm not too sure how much Engine Oil or Trans Fluid I'm goin to need, I'm also thinking the Differential needs a bit if TLC oil-wise too?

Pictures I will post once I get them off the camera, again thank you Chevy Forum