Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

ALL RUST -what is the top chosen way to handle all rust?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2017, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL RUST -what is the top chosen way to handle all rust?

Hello, need some help please. I just bought an old nova and awaiting a long shipping from east to west. I saw the pics it is ALL rusted out. So on my last car I sanded and sanded and was left with tiny black rust pits. I sprayed a primer all on it and it came back to haunt me in 2-3 years. So what is the official way to handle this? The concourse sema way to handle this... Spray a rust inverter that supposedly turns rust into a black sealer??? use naval jelly which is getting more difficult to find in places like cali??? or you tell me??? spray a 2k epoxy primer over it and forget it lol??? any suggestions???

Last edited by camnsam; December 18th, 2017 at 5:57 PM.
Old December 19th, 2017, 12:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The best way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and weld in new panels.
Old December 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

HELP PLEASE, Truth be told that makes sense for the small and large holes and all the spots where rust has eaten halfway thru the metal. What about all those spots where rust is only beginning to eat into the metal, seems like a lot of work for something where there should be an easier approach and all, plus its nice to save as much of the old thick metal as we could. Does that rust inverter spray work at all or not really? anybody have a success story with that at all? or anything similar?
Old December 19th, 2017, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

thank you old chevy man
Old December 19th, 2017, 3:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The best way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and weld in new panels.
That's the only way. My Delta had severe rust back front quarter panels. I had a bodyman fix that, took his time worked on it off, and on with his spare time. He had a full body shop. I would check on it time to time, and yes the rusted out places were welded in with steel (or brazed), no body putty.
Old December 19th, 2017, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

not sure if all are following me. The holes and obviously bad spots get cut out and all, sure. What about a small spot that started to rust, you sand it with some 40-80 grit and notice there are some small black pits (rust) not even one quarter of the way thru the surface - - - cut those out too?? only need to be clear.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 2:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Only thing ''i'' know to do that will work for sure is get your self a small sand blaster and blast them. It's called black rust . I have tried the chem. Treatments but i am waiting to see how they work in the long run. I will know more in 5 to 10 years [lol] of how good the new treatments last. Best one to get is the pot type [dump into a hopper with a gun on end of a hose] also a face sheild , gloves and a painters hood [sand gets every where , pockets too] and a resperator. Two other tips i use are place a fan so dust , etc. Blows away from you and i take a piece of card board cut one hole to put your gun hand through and another to hold it and it makes a great sheild to stop sand that bounces back toward you. I know it sounds harder then it is and really it is cheep for everything you need. Good luck and enjoy the ride.