Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

High mile 1995 G20 van with no spark from remote coil

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2018, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mile 1995 G20 van with no spark from remote coil

Working on a one owner, 240,000 mile, 1995 G20 van with 305 motor and can't get spark from remote coil. Was running fine then stalled at traffic light, then restarted. No "Service Engine" warning. Did that a few more times and I started a complete tune up. ( van has been regularly maintained since new ) New cap, rotor, ignition module, plugs, wires. Also replaced ignition switch connection and the pickup coil. Checked the four small wires at the coil and found 12 volts with key in on position but drops to 7 or 8 when cranking. Absolutely no spark from the coil wire terminal. One unusual detail is when I try to check codes there is no response from the system, no flashing at all. Never seen that before. As I see it the only thing left ( there is no crank sensor on this model year ) is the ECM but I thought I'd ask here for help in case I'm forgetting something before I spend $$ on the ECM. Thanks for any help. Phil
Old May 9th, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot to mention of course I replaced the coil and checked all the fuses and in the last hour replaced the ECM or "computer" as it's sometimes called. Still no spark from coil and still not displaying normal flashes that you should see when you check for stored codes. I checked the coil with a multimeter the other day and it was ok according to the numbers I see on the internet. One thing I do see is a spark will jump through the air from the steel section in the middle of the remote coil to the coil wire terminal when I crank the motor with the coil wire removed. There is obviously power going to the coil it just won't come through the coil wire terminal. Seems like a stupid simple fix but at this point it's got me stopped. If it wasn't for the new coil checking good with the multimeter I would think they sold me a bad one. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Phil