Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Antifreeze leak.

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 5:42 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leak.

I have a 1990 Chevy full size pick up with the 4.3 liter motor. Just last night I noticed it started to bog out and all but shut off until I gave it enough gas to down shift. I then noticed my temperature rising. So I stopped and got out to look and had a very slow bud steady drip of antifreeze rolling down and dropping off the oil pan. When I shut the truck off. It started smoking real bad so I popped the hood and noticed the smoke coming from behind the power steering pump. Just trying to find out what this is. Thank you to anyone in advance
Old February 23rd, 2016, 6:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anti-freeze doesn`t evaporate very fast. Hose it off and let the engine dry. Start engine and watch the hoses and water pump closely for the leak.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

The water pump on my 4.3 starting leaking antifreeze through the weep holes on the water pump. This is a good place to start looking at.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 91 has a 4.3 and ive blown a couple head gaskets since the temp gauge on the dash doesn't work and I didn't realize it was overheating. some of those radiators have plastic drain plugs at the bottom that get stripped pretty easy so check for a leak there, its a pretty quick cheap fix if that's what it is. otherwise just hose everything down, wait for it to dry and see if you can trace back to where the leak is