Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Any recommendation on how to find a dealership with a competent tech?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendation on how to find a dealership with a competent tech?

I have replaced the standard disc player head unit with the oem denso nav in my 2007 Tahoe following the steps listed here ( https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...07-tahoe-2155/ ).

I have had the parts counter run the parts numbers and confirm we have compatible systems. When i initially replaced the unit, it worked for 10 seconds before it switched to the theftlock screen, so i am thinking that the new nav unit is likely functional.

I took it to a dealer to have them run it through tech 2, i even called ahead and made sure they were comfortable with it and knew how to get it done. They assured me it wouldn't be an issue. After waiting 2.5 hours, they finally told me I had the wrong model head unit, and said they weren't willing to discuss what went wrong in the process or where they were receiving error messages. They sent me packing with no charge, and a locked headunit.

I scheduled another appointment with a different dealer, who again assured me that they were fully capable of reprogramming everything, and I agreed to bring it in. Before starting anything I had the parts counter confirm that it was the right part number, and it should work with a quick reprogram. They had me in the waiting room for two hours before coming back and saying they don't know what the problem is, it wont work, they are professionals and they don't need to discuss why it wont work but i still need to pay them. The took my money, and told me to put the old head unit back in if i wanted it to work.

This seems like a really dumb problem to be having. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find someone actually capable with the tech 2 and TIS system who can reprogram this thing? I don't think it is too much to ask that if you're going to require me to pay you, and the job doesn't get done, you at least tell me what went wrong so I can troubleshoot. I'm in Rochester NY if that helps.
Old October 6th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

I would check the build on not just the head unit but the entire audio system...other hard parts may need to be changed. When you program the radio...the server has you pick the other audio options....the other options may not match. pull out a diagram of the oem system and system you are upgrading to.