Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2006, 2:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

For anybody that owns a new 2007 Tahoe/Suburban or Avalanche with Bose (most front bucket seat equipped Tahoe's have the Bose speaker/amp system) and wishes to install the factory OEM Denso Navigation system here is a complete set of instructions and list of parts to accomplish the job:

First off you'll need the head unit Part #15882767 if your vehicle does NOT have factory DVD or 15882766 (new updated version of this unit is Part #15940102) if you DO have factory DVD, Ebay can be a good place to find one of these head units.

You'll also need the GPS antenna part #15201798 these sell for about $50 at the dealership.
Rear back-up camera part #15173619.
And finally you'll need the GM 2007 Map DVD part #15934919 for the most current release (v2.0) or 15807780 for the earlier version (v1.10) the changes are very minimal and mostly in the eastern regions.

The install is straight forward:
Remove the wood trim panel surrounding the radio and HVAC controls, there are 9 clips holding it to the dash and they are stubborn, be careful not to ding the edge of the stereo when prying this off.
Next, remove the fasteners holding the head unit (10mm heads).

Now remove the A-pillar covers by prying the access plug out on driver side and remove the fastener(s), remove the grab handle on the passenger's side and unplug the tweeter leads.
Pry the front top dash trim panel up (5 clips total) and unplug the photocell light sensor, you'll see just to the right of the center there is a square area with a clip built in that holds the GPS antenna, snap it into place and fish the wire down towards the head unit, you may have to remove the glove box which is easy and you can figure it out in a glance.
Now reinstall the head unit and the trim pieces.

The unit will show a blue screen and the words THEFTLOCK, don't be alarmed this is good.
Now you'll have to take it to the dealer or have access to a Tech-2 device and TIS programs to accomplish the programming/learning procedure.
With Tech-2 connected to the vehicle go to the Service Programming mode and select "get vehicle information” and follow the prompts to download the module info into Tech-2.
Now disconnect Tech-2 and connect it to the Techline TIS computer and enter SPS menu select "radio” and then it will ask you a few questions regarding the radio, amp rear camera, etc, the only tricky one is make sure to select "w/o Y91 option the 2 times it asks and also select "region 1 NTSC” when you get to that screen; when done in the menu download the programming and then connect Tech-2 back up and install the software when done turn ignition off , unplug Tech-2 and wait at least 30 seconds to turn the key back on and your done.
Old August 9th, 2006, 2:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Great write up! It sounds like you got it much cheaper than the kit from jpcustoms.com.

One question....I already have Nav/DVD, but no backup camera. Can I just install the camera (thanks for the p/n by the way) and it will work? Or do I have to get someone with Tech2 program it?

Thanks in advance!
Old August 9th, 2006, 2:29 PM
CF Addict

The back-up camera will work, but you will need to unlock the module in the radio with Tech-2 using the same steps above, any GM electrical service tech worth his wieght in dog food can reprogram it 10 minutes.

The camera is about $169 + shipping
Old August 9th, 2006, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

I searched ebay, could not find the nav system for tahoe. Do you buy the camera from chevy dealer?
Old August 9th, 2006, 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

gmpartsdirect.com has the camera for $169 plus shipping just incase your interested in getting it.
Old August 16th, 2006, 4:07 AM
CF Beginner

Great info. I actually went to the parts department at my local dealer and asked them if I can order the backup camera. He looked puzzled for a minute then went into a back room and talked to someone. He came back and told me that I would need to replace the screen on my NAV system because it wasn't capable of displaying video. Only the NAV systems that have the rear entertainment systems can have the backup camera.[&o]

He also told me that he couldn't just order the screen like an accessory. He would need a VIN number from a Tahoe that had the right screen so he could order the part with GM as a theft replacement. WTF

Does anyone know how easy it is to install the camera? It sounds like the Tahoe is already pre-wired. But what do I need to do to actually hook it up. I assume the camera is plug and play in the back of the head unit. Do I need to cut or drill into the back of my lift gate to get to the wiring?
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
CF Addict

The parts guy at your local dealer is incorrect. You can get the rear back-up camera (UVC) without the rear Entertainment System (U42).

After further research we have uncovered a few problems with installing the Nav unit and rear Back-up Camera on certain Tahoe’s that were built without these options.

1. The wiring (at the rear and head unit) may not be present in lower level (2LT, 1LT and LS) models.
2. There is a module for the camera that is located under the passenger seat that may not be present, this would need to be installed and programmed.
3. There are issues with Voice recognition and Voice commands that require a custom wire adapter (jpcustoms has this item).

I’ll post any other problems that may surface.
Old August 27th, 2006, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 07 3LT with nav and rear seat entertaiment. Can a dealer install the rear back-up camera?
Old August 27th, 2006, 1:29 PM
CF Addict

Dealership service centers have been instructed by GM to not attempt to install any OEM electronic options to these new 07 vehicles (unless the item comes in kit form like remote start) or they are on their own, so in all likelihood you will probably have a very hard time finding a dealer that is willing or has the technical capacity to carry out the install and get it up and running properly.
If you were to find one that can and will, get out your wallet.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 1:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this is getting a little off topic but I would like to install a backup camera on my 2007 LTZ, I have both the nav and the dvd, outside of the camera how can I tell what else I will need? Thanks, in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe