Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Bad head bolts? Wrong head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2016, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad head bolts? Wrong head bolts?

I have a problem. I am replacing head gaskets on my 97 K3500 7.4l Vin J. I have purchased new head bolts and new gaskets. The first set I purchased from Rock Auto. The gaskets were Fel Pro. The first set of bolts were Magnum. I thought they were made in USA, when I got them, I saw they were made in Taiwan. On the first head, last torque sequence, the #2 head bolt would not torque. I continued turning hoping it would tighten and click, but the bolt broke. I pulled the head back off, got new gasket and Fel Pro bolt set, re-installed head and re-torqued. No problem. Now on the second head I am on the final sequence (85ft lbs according to 2 different manuals and internet info), and #5 bolt is feeling like it is going to break. WTH? The new bolts are Fel Pro and box says they are made in USA. The part # is ES72264 Chevy TK, GMC V8 454( 7.4l) Eng OHV vin J N 1985-00. I hope someone has some insight as to what is going on. Oh yeah, cleaned threads in block 5 or 6 times with tap and lightly oiled threads before installing NEW bolts. Any help?
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Is your torque wrench properly calibrated?
Old January 13th, 2016, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Smh

I have not had it tested, however, I have checked three different torque wrenches against each other and they all read within + or - 2 or 3 % or less. One of them is a new Craftsmen. I feel confident that it is not the torque wrenches. I have done more research since I posted last night. I believe that I have found the issue. Apparently the bolt manufacturers are selling bolt sets that are TTY and approve them for use in non TTY applications. I spoke with FEL PRO C.S. this morning and that was the explanation I was given. The Chevy specs for torque are 30, 60, 85. The FEL PRO specs are 30, 60, 80. If one spends any length of time searching for torque specs for a 97 454, I am sure you could find at least a half dozen different specs. Very frustrating. I have decided to replace all of the FEL PRO bolts with NON-TTY bolts I found from JEGS. I know that I am much more informed now, however, it has been a very expensive and time consuming lesson. Very disappointed that FEL PRO would sell these TTY bolt sets as for non-TTY applications. I guess that no company these days is trustworthy. SMFH.