Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Bad Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2011, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacerX
Schmutz in the overflow tank isnt really indicative of a head gasket. It could just be grime that had been in the coolant system for a long while.
i'd have to agree wit this ONLY because my truck has 1/4" of crud/rust/ whatever else was in there when i did a flush...but like you said if he drove for 30 mins ith it pegged out in the red... u might as well get a cummins...
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the funny thing, you can drive it all day and the temp is fine, it doesn't burn coolant and the system isn't low. But the hoses get excessively hard and that stuff floating on the top of the coolant in the overflow bottle is engine oil, I'm 100% sure. I think I'm gonna do a coolant flush of the block and radiator and have my dad drive it for a month or two and after that I'll check the overflow bottle again.

And I agree, I woulda got a cummins too. Don't get me wrong though, the 360 is a great engine...to anchor a boat with.
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frickenbored
. Don't get me wrong though, the 360 is a great engine...to anchor a boat with.
a little too much credit??lol you got a 383...drop it in!
Old January 20th, 2011, 3:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

360 is a good motor, but it all depends on the weight of the car. You put a 5.9 in a 1971 Dodge Dart or Valiant and you got a screamer.
The problem is in order to keep HCs, and NOxs low they had to "Homer-sexual" the camshaft timings and compression ratios. Plus truck blocks are primarily made for durability and low-end to mid range torque.
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
CF Active Member

I would never disgrace my 383 by putting it in a dodge. I would rather throw it in a river first. All I know is that a buddy of mine has a 99 dodge ram with a 4" lift and 33" tires. He had a 318 in it for the longest time untill it basicly blew up. He then bought a 360 and had it rebuilt by a good shop thinking that he would gain some power. There was no noticable diffrence at all, nothing. It was just as slow and weak as the 318.

I will say though, the 6.1L hemi in the srt8 chargers and challengers and some pickups have some major *****. Since I work at a chrysler dealer I see all of the newer engines and stuff and I will say that they are making huge improvements and they actually are starting to make some vehicles that I wouldn't be embarrased to be seen in. But I'd still take a 2011 camaro ss over anything chrysler has to offer.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Redneck headgasket leak into rad tester:
Place household carbon monoxide alarm in plastic bag.
Rubber band top of bag over open radiator opening.
Run engine up to operating temp.
If bad head gasket is allowing exhaust fumes into water jacket, they will set off the alarm.