Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Bad work done under warranty, needs to be fixed, if warranty goes out, is it ok?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2015, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad work done under warranty, needs to be fixed, if warranty goes out, is it ok?

Had transmission replaced by dealer ship, UNDER warranty.
I called to check the status of car, and Was told the car would take a few more days to be fixed due to a new cv axle needing to be special ordered.

The very next day, i was told my car was ready, and that the technician was able to fix the cv axle.

I recently got my oil changed, and was informed by the technician that drove it in, that my cv axle was having problems, b/c it was making a "popping' sound when turning. I had heard the sound but had no idea what the problem was.

Also was informed that my transmission oil dip stick, was "hanging loose" and could fall out and cause transmission fluid to leak. The technician told me that the dipstick should be mounted firm and not be able to move at all. He said there must be bolt missing from the mount??

Also he told me that my shift linkage cable, that tells my transmission what gear to change to, when you shift the gear from the steering column, was in the wrong place. He told me that I should not be able to see this linkage cable. The technician at the dealership, routed my shift cable OVER THE TOP of my engine shroud. If you pop the hood, it is the first thing you see. I can attach pictures if needed.

So my question is, if my warranty goes OUT, would the dealership be responsible for fixing these issues, regardless of warranty status? Because it is all involved in the previous work they did, under warranty, when replacing my transmission a few months back.

I am worried because i am VERY close to going over my warranty milage, and am having such a hard time getting my car into the SAME dealership that worked on my car to begin with. I actually had the EXACT same problem, when I needed to get my transmission replaced by them. For some reason, this DEALERSHIP has a shortage of vehicles to loan to customers when they are putting their cars into the service center. I have been waiting 10 days now for them to tell me I can come drop my car off and leave in a loaner car so as I still have transportation for me and my family. This is such a huge headache. We have been rescheduling things and staying at home trying to avoid going over our warranty mileage but this is just getting rediculous now.

So does anyone know if they are responsible for fixing the work they did, regardless of warranty status??? Please answer and thank you!
Old March 20th, 2015, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if they installed something wrong, they are responsible for it warranty or not. Take it back and point it out. Call the service manager an discuss this before you make an appointment.

If you car is under base warranty, gm should be paying for a rental for you to drive while the repair is being done.
Old March 20th, 2015, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
if they installed something wrong, they are responsible for it warranty or not. Take it back and point it out. Call the service manager an discuss this before you make an appointment.

If you car is under base warranty, gm should be paying for a rental for you to drive while the repair is being done.
Have not even thought about speaking to an service manager. Wish I would have thought of that earlier.

Unfortunately the car is under extended warranty NOT purchased thru thebdealership, but all the work I am requesting is to fix what they screwed up, and to replace the part they decided NOT to replace the first time around.

The service guy I keep talking to said if there was something that is covered by the power train warranty then they would give Me an enterprise rental car. But that feels like bs to me, they should provide me with anloaner vehicle from them so they can repair my vehicle
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

i'm not sure if gm covers rentals for powertrain warranty. No way the dealership be responsible for providing you with a rental or loaner when the warranty you bought is not through them. You are way off on that.
bad repairs; valid complaint.