Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Best timing kits 454?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2021, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best timing kits 454?

Hi all new here, and have spent a fair bit of time looking through the threads, so sorry if it's hidden away somewhere. I've just picked up a boat with a completely standard non roller 454 running a jet unit, in the interests of reliability, I would like to change out the standard timing gear for a good double roller set...but there is an unbelievable amount of different kits out there, all claiming to be amazing of course, and hugely ranging prices... reliability is my main concern, of course some performance tweaks would be great down the track, but the jet unit only runs at a max of 3500-3700 rpm...anyone have any ideas of the best kits out there, or at least the ones to stay away from? Have contacted some big players like jegs and summit asking the same questions, but no luck on actual advice, just links to their timing kit sections. Any difference between cloyes, SA, edelbrock ones etc? Appreciate any advice. Also I'm way out here in New Zealand, so not a lot of local expertise, very jealous of all the beautiful cars you guys have got rolling around...
Old February 6th, 2021, 5:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

I'd go with a Cloyes 9-3110 True Roller Timing chain. Cloyes are well known to make some of the best timing chains made for a very long time.*
Old February 8th, 2021, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I'd go with a Cloyes 9-3110 True Roller Timing chain. Cloyes are well known to make some of the best timing chains made for a very long time.*
Thanks appreciate that, your right, good to stick with a brand name like that.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 8th, 2021)