Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Body/dent repair 98 chev 1500

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body/dent repair 98 chev 1500

I have a 98 Chevy 1500 extended cab with only the 2 doors and now I have a big dent on the passenger side of the cab where the 3rd door would be. Does anyone have any ideals on a cheap and easy way to fix it? I thought about taking the inside panels off but if someone has another way to do it that would be great
Thanks in advance
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the dent is the kind of result where someone leaned into it and it flexed inward then you have a chance to get it out without much distortion. You can buy a suction cup dent puller from a local auto supply house and pull it out. If it's the kind where something sharp hit the side and there is a crease or other area that's deeply scratched orstretched then you may be able to pop some of it out but not the creased area. Unfortunately when you have a section of sheet metal that's been moved from it's original position you will likely have some areas that just will not get back into it's shape without a few taps of a body hammer in just the right places.....along with some touchup or panel repainting.

The suction cup puller is the best first try. If that doesn't pull everything out then drop us a couple of pictures and we can help you out from there.

Good luck.

Mark
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got the suction cup puller and it worked for most of it. Now i just have a little spot left where my chrome was which looks like a crease type dent. Any Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Body/dent repair 98 chev 1500-img_1433.jpg   Body/dent repair 98 chev 1500-img_1432.jpg  
Old May 7th, 2013, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That crease will most likely need a little massaging with a body hammer, grinder and filler to smooth it all out....along with a repaint on that panel. Without a couple of pictures I really can't suggest more. What you can do though is stop by a body shop for an estimate and they can tell you what all needs to be done to get it back into perfect form.

Let us know!

Mark