Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

brand new car battery continuously goes dead

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2014, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new car battery continuously goes dead

My car battery (only 2 months old) continuously goes dead on my 09 Traverse. This is the reason I got a new battery. My old battery was also doing this then transmission went out so after getting transmission replaced I bought a new battery and same problem. Do these cars just have electrical systems that go haywire while sitting and drain battery causing havoc?
Old December 31st, 2014, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator is most likely bad.

I would imagine your alternator is bad and doesn't generate enough output AC voltage needed to sustain electrical components such as head lights, radio (etc.) Bring it to your nearest Chevrolet dealership and tell them that the battery continuously goes bad after replacing. If they have half a brain they should figure it out.

-Alex
Old January 2nd, 2015, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

if the car does not die when driving, the battery warning light is not on and the car won't start after it sits overnight, the car is probably charging normally and the problem may be a parasitic drain.

you car should have a voltage indicator in the dic display. scroll through it and see what the charging voltage is when the engine is running. 13.0 - 15.5 volt range is normal

Last edited by tech2; January 2nd, 2015 at 7:36 PM.