Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Built 355, horsepower help!!

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built 355, horsepower help!!

Hello everyone, I bought a 77 nova built for drag racing. The owner I bought it from knew nothing about it and never drove it. However, the previous owner kept all his receipts so I have a good idea what’s going on. I just need some help from you guys! Most of the receipts are vague so I’m hoping you can help me guess how much it makes.

355 small block (receipt says “race prep 4 bolt block”)
mahle dome pistons
connecting rods (receipt says cr7600)
brodex 18 degree 245cc heads
msd ignition and distributor
autolite ar3933 plugs
stahl 1 3/4” long tubes
Holley 750
comp cam 292/292 .501/.501 magnum
steel crank
25768 Manley pushrods
balanced rotating assembly

has a sump in the tank and external fuel pump

i found a handwritten note in the receipts that say “must run high octane race fuel”

id love to know if anyone has any idea what a setup like this would make!! Thank you
Old January 6th, 2019, 7:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Faner17
Hello everyone, I bought a 77 nova built for drag racing. The owner I bought it from knew nothing about it and never drove it. However, the previous owner kept all his receipts so I have a good idea what’s going on. I just need some help from you guys! Most of the receipts are vague so I’m hoping you can help me guess how much it makes.

355 small block (receipt says “race prep 4 bolt block”)
mahle dome pistons
connecting rods (receipt says cr7600)
brodex 18 degree 245cc heads
msd ignition and distributor
autolite ar3933 plugs
stahl 1 3/4” long tubes
Holley 750
comp cam 292/292 .501/.501 magnum
steel crank
25768 Manley pushrods
balanced rotating assembly

has a sump in the tank and external fuel pump

i found a handwritten note in the receipts that say “must run high octane race fuel”

id love to know if anyone has any idea what a setup like this would make!! Thank you
Well you'll be going through tires like crazy! And you wontbe able to use high octane pump gasoline, at least not until you make timing and other changes and
mayhaps not even then. Racing fuel is very expensive. If you mean how much horsepower? I have no idea, but it going to have tons of HP, thats for sure!
Old January 6th, 2019, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Well you'll be going through tires like crazy! And you wontbe able to use high octane pump gasoline, at least not until you make timing and other changes and
mayhaps not even then. Racing fuel is very expensive. If you mean how much horsepower? I have no idea, but it going to have tons of HP, thats for sure!

yeah that race race gas is going to hurt the wallet! It’s far too cold up here in the northeast to take the car out but I’ve got high hopes on power. I’ve been trying to find a similar build online
Old January 21st, 2019, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Hi, New member here and just guessing/humble opinion! but I'm building a 355 small block, with everything in my engine less spec than yours and I'm hoping for 400hp?
Sounds like your engine was built for drag racing and I'm going for more endurance type work, I'm following Smokey Yanick's book approach and recommendations .
I think your Holley is good for upto 1000hp, your cam is pretty wild, your heads will give about 14:1! depending on the dome on your pistons, so a wild drag race only Chevy really! Somewhere between 500 and 600, may be possible depending on how well it's been built?????? It all depends on the machining, says Smokey!