Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Camshaft Position Sensor shooting wires?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2016, 2:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camshaft Position Sensor shooting wires?

07 Silverado 6.0 with the VVT Cam bull. Rebuilt engine with some high performance parts, bigger cam, pistons, aftermarket heads, coils, most everything but the block and crank. My CPS was flagging my check engine light, so I deleted it to get through inspection. Turned it back on, replaced the sensor, still flagging. When i had the engine out, I left the harness in the truck. Think maybe I damaged the wires on the plug itself. Does anybody know what i need to look for when I go to shoot wires? Voltages, resistance? More than just making sure its getting juice. I may be having ECM issues also, still looking into that, but this sensor not working may be the culprit on that side. I'm to the point of buying another cam and deleting the VVT if I can't get this figured out. Which involves pulling the engine again, and the heads, and new lifters, pushrods.... Ol girl becoming a money pit quick.
Old June 30th, 2016, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

what was the dtc?
I have seen and there is a tsb for the wires cam sensor wires not locked into the connector. when you plug the connector in, It pushes the wire back. It is the jumper harness that rides near the crankshaft and has a bracket to keep it clear of the drivebelt.
Old July 1st, 2016, 7:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you done a visual? seen plenty of times that the bracket and/or jumper harness is damaged
Old July 1st, 2016, 2:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting off my cell phone, dont judge my grammar too hard.

P0011, p0174, and p0315 were my DTCs. Eveything is plugged in well from visual. Have a cam harness on the way thats on the bracket down low. For p0315, thinking the crank sensor is bad. Even though i replaced it when I reassembled. P0174 is likely a collector issue, been having hell with the exhaust, not a perfect fit. Did a crank relearn, p0011 is gone for the moment. Have a HP Tuner plugged in at the moment troubleshooting.