General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cant fix vacuum leak, can you help me?

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2013 | 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Cant fix vacuum leak, can you help me?

so I replaced all the gaskets on the carb and cleaned the carb inside and out.
when is pray ether behind the carb the idle raises, Its not running rough but it very well is still a vac leak.
I have the bolts torqued to 145lbs as it should.

whats your opinion?

79 chevy 350, 13,900 miles

Last edited by stanman; March 15th, 2013 at 7:08 PM.
Old March 15th, 2013 | 7:17 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by stanman
so I replaced all the gaskets on the carb and cleaned the carb inside and out.
when is pray ether behind the carb the idle raises, Its not running rough but it very well is still a vac leak.
I have the bolts torqued to 145lbs as it should.

whats your opinion?

79 chevy 350, 13,900 miles
I would hope you have a mistype. I assume you spray something at the base of the carb that raises the rpm? Then you have a leak at the carb base. Need more info.
Old March 15th, 2013 | 7:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes i spray ether starting fluid and it raises rpm, its a q-jet 4 berral.
Old March 15th, 2013 | 9:13 PM
CF Junior Member

what info do you need?
Old March 16th, 2013 | 6:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Was this a problem before you rebuilt the carb? If not then the problem is with the carb or the base.
Old March 16th, 2013 | 9:00 AM
CF Monarch

You stated you torqued it to 145 lbs, I was asking if that was a mistype. The carb base gasket really needs to be the thick (1/4") and NOT those thin black ones. Also the torque should be done in a pattern with 1/2 torque amount each , then final to about 15 ft. lbs. I could be wrong it might be inch lbs of torque. I only have a CSM for my olds that would have to dig for that actual quad torque.
Old March 16th, 2013 | 9:45 AM
CF Junior Member

let,s hope the intake is not warped or the bottom of the carburetor ! did you try letting it run for awhile then go back over the bolts again ? sometimes after it warms up you can tighten the bolts some more !
Old March 16th, 2013 | 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Check the vacuum line that connect to the back of the carb.
Old March 17th, 2013 | 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

145 inch pounds would be around 12.5 ft ilbs. My torquer only does inch pounds so thats what i set it to. I tightened them down with my fingers then gave them each a turn with a wrench before tightening them cross pattern.

I'm not sure if it was leaking before i replaced the 3 gaskets but I know the top gasket was leaking for sure since it would barely stay idleing.
Thats the reason i had to put a kit in nit.

I checked the vacuum hoses and replaced one. The only bad vacuum line is the pcv but its not leaking.

I notice if i shake the brake booster line hard then, A hardly noticeable risae in rpms. very slight. I'm thinking it might be warped at that spot but i've been hoping it would be an easy fix and not have to buy another gasket lol.

I checked the egr valve thats covered up no but no leak there.
There was a small leak in the 3 way split behind the carb which i fixed already.
Old March 17th, 2013 | 5:48 PM
CF Monarch

since you suspect (I concur) a vacuum leak, try with it running starting fluid. Spray it lightly around the carb base, and other areas. I like quadrajets, however they can be a little cranky. When you kitted it, did you check the float, do you have excess gas into the carb?

Quick Reply: Cant fix vacuum leak, can you help me?