Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cant get a solid answer

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2019, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cant get a solid answer

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
recently when ever I shift from park to reverse I get a clicking noise from the trans and from my under standing pink trans fluid is when it mixes with coolant
And I took it to a few shops and are all saying they don't have an answer for the pink trans and that I need to get the trans replaced or that's everything is all fine
Just asking to see what other says
Old August 12th, 2019, 1:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the only place trans fluid and coolant can mix is in the rad.

water wrecks the clutch packs and good luck trying to flush all the water out...near impossible without a tear down

you most likely need a new rad, trans and the trans cooler and cooler lines must all be flushed out
Old August 12th, 2019, 10:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the only place trans fluid and coolant can mix is in the rad.

water wrecks the clutch packs and good luck trying to flush all the water out...near impossible without a tear down

you most likely need a new rad, trans and the trans cooler and cooler lines must all be flushed out
Sure glad I have a stick in my old 1998 K-1500. It'll probably outlast me!
Old August 13th, 2019, 8:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I hate shifting so I'm a auto guy all the way; 10 years of stop and go driving. standards do have a few advantages
Old August 13th, 2019, 4:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I hate shifting so I'm a auto guy all the way; 10 years of stop and go driving. standards do have a few advantages
Don't get me wrong. Tech2. I love the 6T40 in my 2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2.5 liter. It's not given me a lick of trouble and with 20,000 mile Dex 6 fluid changes, since I cant change the filter, I am hoping it won't for many years. I don't drive my 5-speed 1998 K-1500 all that much with the price of gasoline, but she shifts as smooth as silk.

Being an older truck driver, I have shifted gears/speeds hundreds of thousands of times with non-synchronized, 10/13/15/18 speed transmissions and it really gets old after many years. The newer rigs are using "auto-shifts", but I honesty don't like them for local work (200 to 400 miles a day, then back home). They are okay on the highway, but I don't like how slow they shift, getting up to speed on the highway entrances. Thankfully I don't normally drive with these, but the few times I have, I was unimpressed.

They don't use a torque-converter or ring gears like a car/pickup automatic does, since those don't hold up with the heavy weight, under stress for long, unless its just a medium duty truck. They use some kind of servo-mechanism, that still uses a fairly standard heavy-duty 10 or 12 speed transmission, but the computer does all the shifting. Oh well, it wont be long now until they have trucks with no drivers going down the roads. The film "Logan" (Wolverine from the X-Men) showed how it will turn out in the future with fully automated rigs in 2029 or earlier then that. I will be retiring soon enough, so it wont concern me much as it will all the newbies to the driving profession.

Feel very bad for all the younger folks who are going to have to compete with all this automation of practically any job done by humans now, being automated into oblivion,