Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

car made pop sound and dosent start no more

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my caprice made pop sound while driving and dosent start no more

i have a 90's model caprice with police package in it. it broke down in georgia i got it running again and it was running strong but a little further down the road it made a pop noise and died it hasnt started since. i thought maybe it was the fuel pump any ideas? i would use the search engine but i dont know what im searching for its been a few years now and i still cant figure it out if any one has any good ideas please let me know

Last edited by kreepin; October 24th, 2009 at 1:16 PM.
Old October 24th, 2009, 1:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Assuming the "pop" noise came from under the hood? Was it a loud enough pop you could hear it over the radio, A/C,etc; or were you driving with the radio and A/C off?

Possibly your battery positive end touched ground, if it was loose, or a loose piece of metal touched it. Look for damage around the battery such as a melted wire,terminal, or a cracked battery casing.

Maybe your distributor cap cracked? Pull the cap and see if the inside of the distributor is OK.

Look around under the hood for obvious damage, if it was electrical, you may be able to see or smell the scorched circuit,wire or component.

Did your fan belt break?
Old October 24th, 2009, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

no no radio or ac was on. Lets say if it was the distributor cap would it make the car not start? there was no unusual smell just shut off and wouldnt start. fans are still in there no broke ones. before this when i got it to run i was messin around with a rely switch could that of made a pop noise if it went bad? thanks for the input i never would of thought of that might be wrong
Old October 24th, 2009, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Did You check all of the fuses? Maybe an Ecm Fuse? I thing its a 15amp Fuse. If There Is a small Short in the Wiring This would cause a lot of problems.