Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Carb tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2019, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb tuning questions

All forged internals with flat top pistons with 4cc reliefs. 65cc afr 195 cylinder heads. Comp cam camshaft(cam card attached to this post) with an operating range of 2800-7200. Static compression somewhere in the 10.81 area runnin on 93 only. Topped with a edelbrock rpm performer dual plane intake with a 750 quick fuel slayer carb. 1 3/4 primary headers going into 2 1/2 inch exhaust.
First off. I know this is a lot of cam. Lol. I’m trying to make the best of it. Anyways.
Timing is set at 36 degrees all in at 2500. It seems to like that timing. The carburetor just seems not to react to when I make adjustments if that makes sense. It runs really rich at idle and I have had a chance to install and AF gauge to monitor cruise and WOT ratios.
Could it be in the secondary idle? I never even touched it and I imagine that out of the box isn’t going to apply to my application.
Also, the car runs great on 93 octane with no signs of spark knock. DCR is 8.01
Old October 22nd, 2019, 1:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Which engine are we speaking of here? Yeah 10.8 to 1 is a high ratio but they come higher. The issue might be that the cam is too much for that motor, and/or that the carb
needs to be tuned and adjusted for your non-stock motor. I've literally rebuilt and repaired well over 100 carbs in my life, not including motorcycle carbs, but a good tuning, setting floats, jetting and all the other things you have to do to keep a carb running at, or near, the stoichiometric 14.7 to 1 atmo to fuel mixture is not an easy task at times.
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

"Which engine are we speaking of here? Yeah 10.8 to 1 is a high ratio but they come higher. The issue might be that the cam is too much for that motor, and/or that the carb
needs to be tuned and adjusted for your non-stock motor. I've literally rebuilt and repaired well over 100 carbs in my life, not including motorcycle carbs, but a good tuning, setting floats, jetting and all the other things you have to do to keep a carb running at, or near, the stoichiometric 14.7 to 1 atmo to fuel mixture is not an easy task at times."

I agree, you are in the middle of not enough carb, you might try larger jets, I have experience with quads, little edlebrock