Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

CARBURETOR!

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBURETOR!

I have a 1983 Chevy Caprice. Problem is the idle is not functioning properly. After I start the engine (only when engine is cold) it idles high like it supposed to, but unlike before it doesn't die down after the engine has warmed up. In other words after I start it when it's cold it will high rev forever unless I manually push the gas pedaldownto get it to run normally. I've tried to use some carb. cleaner spray but was unsuccessful in fixing the problem. Autozone offers 3 parts that have to do with the idling 1. - idle stop solenoid 2. - idle air control valve 3. fast idle relay. Please someone help me figure this out!?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:15 AM
CF Veteran

Default RE: CARBURETOR!

make shure the blower is off see if it idels down the idle stop solenoid idle'sthe engine up when cold with the choke when you have the defroster's an heater on when it is cold it load's the engine .check to see if the choke pull off is working .
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

the choke pull off was replaced. When does the blower need to be off?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 3:50 PM
CF Veteran

the solenoid will be on when on defrost or a/c ,put it in vent or heat and the solonoid should be turned off . the choke will shut off and open when choke coil get' hot and the engine start's to warm up .i assume it's a electric choke.
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

I thought with electric choke you were supposed to hit the gas lightly to get it to idle down??? At least on my 71 impala I do. It revs high on a cold start. I let it idle fast for about 2 mins then I take the gas once or twice and it idles down and I'm off.
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:27 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it an electric choke pull off? Or does it work on engine temp?