Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

cavalier 40t40e transmission oil check plug

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cavalier 40t40e transmission oil check plug

The oil check plug on my trans is seized and will not come out and I am afraid to break it and I need to race the car tommarow I am wondering if anyone knows of another way to check the fluid level is there another plug or a dipstick.
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Peewee Kuhnau
The oil check plug on my trans is seized and will not come out and I am afraid to break it and I need to race the car tommarow I am wondering if anyone knows of another way to check the fluid level is there another plug or a dipstick.
Not that I know of, and I used to own a Chevy Cavalier too.

I can think of two or three things that MIGHT work, besides the obvious: Knock the hell out of the plug with a punch and a hammer, until you can break it free.
I'd warm it up real good with a torch or something to get things to expand and bust the corrosion holding it loose.

1. Heat it up with a welding torch, not propane, but go lightly. Be careful as that tyranny is aluminum and it wont take much to damage it.

2. If you can find someone who is an expert welder, they MIGHT be able to weld a larger sized object to the plug, that can break it loose, as the plug is steel.

I have no idea if that will work with the plug being right outside the aluminum transmission housing, Might be that you could use an "Easy-Out" on it too, if all else fails. This is why a good mechanic always uses NeverSeize on AL/MG to FE/C parts and visa-versa.