Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Changing hub bearings, newbie question >:/

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing hub bearings, newbie question >:/

So what I've got going is changing the front hub bearings on a 79' 4x4. Someone's put some manual lock hubs in it, I've got all that out as well as the awkward nut that takes the hug 4 pronged socket that goes on my 3/4" drive ratchet. I'm currently trying to get the part that has the studs on it off and its not willing to budge. Guys at the parts store told me to pry something like a screw driver in and it would tap off. I've tried a screw driver, a rail road stud, bent the foot on a crow bar, and now laid a 4x4 piece of wood across the end of it and smacked it as hard as I could with the back of a splitting maul, and some how I still ended up bending it even with the wood. Through all this I've emptied an entire can of PB Penetrating Oil on the outside of it. I've heard this thing called a dust cover and the roter cap, all I know is that it's the thing that has the studs in it. I have an 87 Silverado 2wd that they came off of without having to heave and hoe too much, but didn't require any pounding.

Today I decided to look inside and there was a bearing looking thing with a groove in the top that didn't move when I spun the roter. If you guys could give me any tips to getting this thing off, I'd be very appreciative. I assume it's rusted on bein' a 79', but if you guys can think of anything I've missed, please let me know. Thanks!