Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What is difference between 3.8L & 4.3L distributor besides even & semi-even firing?

Old May 31st, 2010, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is difference between 3.8L & 4.3L distributor besides even & semi-even firing?

Hi guys & thanks for helping a forum newbie,
I am in the process of replacing a 3.8L marine engine originally supplied with my boat that recently expired due to a cracked block, with a 1985/86 vintage 4.3L long block rebuilt by S&J Engines. I’m reusing as many of the 3.8L parts as feasible such as the manifolds, oil pan, water pump, & accessories, however I have a wierd distributor problem.
I know that I need a 4.3L even-fire type distributor to replace the semi-even fire type used on the 3.8L, however I noticed another problem: when checking the fit of the 4.3L engine with heads and intake manifold installed using the 3.8L distributor, I find that the distributor does not engage the oil pump intermediate shaft because the intermediate shaft is too short by ½”, yet the distributor drive gear engages the camshaft gear perfectly. What am I overlooking? Are 3.8L oil pump intermediate shafts shorter than 4.3L intermediate shafts? Or is a 3.8L distributor gear dimensionally different (shorter) than a 4.3L distributor gear?
Thanks for your help.
Bart