Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2023, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light

I have a 2006 Suburban that I am trying to get inspected to give my daughter. Truck was running fine but I let it set for a couple of weeks. Went to start it and battery was low so put on a charger and jumped it off. Took it for inspection and was told that I had to drive it for a while to get computer to accept connection because of the dead battery. Long story short, I went thru the same process 3 times where it was denied. I have driven it 150 miles. I was then told that it needed to go be checked because it said no MIL. I came home and put my own scanner on and it said no MIL and was a short, the ECM or a bad bulb.

I took apart the cluster and it has no bulbs. I have checked the BRN/WHT wire and it is getting a signal, the bulb illuminates when you turn on the key and goes off when you start the car but my reader still tells me that there is no MIL.

I figure if the computer is sending a MIL signal to turn on with key in the on position and goes off when you start the car that it shouldn't be the ECM or the bulb. It isn't throwing any codes.

not sure what to do at this point but maybe get a rebuilt ECM. I see them advertised at decent prices and they say they can put the vin in them but not sure if it is plug and play or still needs to be flashed.

Any suggestions on what to check first? I would have just traded it in on the new truck and been done before I ever found this out but my daughter is desperate need of a vehicle until they can buy a new one so just want to help her out.

thanks in advance
Old April 26th, 2023, 6:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmilam
I have a 2006 Suburban that I am trying to get inspected to give my daughter. Truck was running fine but I let it set for a couple of weeks. Went to start it and battery was low so put on a charger and jumped it off. Took it for inspection and was told that I had to drive it for a while to get computer to accept connection because of the dead battery. Long story short, I went thru the same process 3 times where it was denied. I have driven it 150 miles. I was then told that it needed to go be checked because it said no MIL. I came home and put my own scanner on and it said no MIL and was a short, the ECM or a bad bulb.

I took apart the cluster and it has no bulbs. I have checked the BRN/WHT wire and it is getting a signal, the bulb illuminates when you turn on the key and goes off when you start the car but my reader still tells me that there is no MIL.

I figure if the computer is sending a MIL signal to turn on with key in the on position and goes off when you start the car that it shouldn't be the ECM or the bulb. It isn't throwing any codes.

not sure what to do at this point but maybe get a rebuilt ECM. I see them advertised at decent prices and they say they can put the vin in them but not sure if it is plug and play or still needs to be flashed.

Any suggestions on what to check first? I would have just traded it in on the new truck and been done before I ever found this out but my daughter is desperate need of a vehicle until they can buy a new one so just want to help her out.

thanks in advance
Reset the entire vehicles computor with your scan-tool. Then drive it for 50 Miles or more. That should fix it, unless your ECM is indeed bad .

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 26th, 2023 at 6:17 AM.
Old April 26th, 2023, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

OK will try thank uou
Old April 26th, 2023, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

I did as you suggested and it worked. Took it in and passed inspection with no problems. I appreciate the advise!
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (April 30th, 2023)