Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Check engine light and alarming news

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2018, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

intake leaks can easily be identified by monitor fuel trim data...do what I suggested before changing the intake gaskets. lots of things can cause a misfire...low fuel pressure, clogged cats...do some diag before replacing parts.
just because you have a random misfire code doesn't mean the system isn't picking up what cylinder is misfiring. the scan tool can monitor the misfire counters and isolate which cylinders are the problem.
Old August 13th, 2018, 5:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one have any scan tool suggestions? I wouldn't mind owning one if it wasn't real expensive.
Old August 13th, 2018, 9:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by cowgirl terri
Does any one have any scan tool suggestions? I wouldn't mind owning one if it wasn't real expensive.
Like anything, they come in all kinds of price ranges, and abilities. $15 to $250 depend depending on the scantool's features. They even have ones that use your
smartphone, an app for Apple and/or Android for your smartphone and a BlueTooth device that plugs into your OBD II port under the dash.

I believe that some, or most of the automotive parts stores will scan your codes for free, but dont quote me on that. I'd call them up and ask first.
Old August 17th, 2018, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update!

I took my truck to a very well reviewed local service guy. One of the first things he did was a compression check, all, thankfully, good there. He checked intake suction and fuel pressure, and other things.
While he was working on it the problem went away. He cleared the codes and called me and said just take it and drive it and let me know.

Smooth as glass, full power, shifts great and no codes!

He says he has no idea why this happened, he says expect it to happen again,,or not. Might have been a stuck injector, one plug was wet, same one that looked different when we pulled them the first time through,
his comment after he drove it was "at least we know you don't need an engine"

I am cautiously elated !
Old August 17th, 2018, 9:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

intermittent problems can be hard to find. The 4.8 motor while not powerful; is a very good running reliable engine.

Sometimes coil packs stop working when they get hot. Note if the problem occurs after long trips. The tech needs a good description of the symptoms, and what condition makes the problem occur so they can re-create the problem for diagnosis.