Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

check engine light stays on until vehicle is started

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2013, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light stays on until vehicle is started

okay, to start off I've got a 2006 chevy Malibu with the 4cylinder. I know I sound stupid because the check engine is supposed to be on when the vehicle is in the on position but not running. well about a few months ago I had an engine flush done and the check engine light popped up after, I took it to autozone and they ran it pulling up bank 1 system too lean. I told them I just had the engine flushed so they reset the check engine light and this is what happened. when I turn the key into the on position before cranking the engine over all the dash lights pop on, except my check engine light has like a half a second delay, and when all the other lights turn off like normal the check engine light remains on. it turns off when I start the vehicle but I was still worried there may be an issue or is this just what the check engine light does after it has been reset? I bought a code reader and it pulled up nothing, I tried to reset the cpu by disconnecting the battery for a bit but it still stays on and I also noticed my fathers 03 trailblazer does the exact same thing, when the car is in on position before cranking over the check engine light stays on when all the others turn off yet once the car is started it turns off
Any info or ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated I tried searching the internet but couldn't find a single thing, I assume this is just because the engine light has been reset before but can't be certain. oh yeah the guy at autozone told me not to worry about it because the light turns off as soon as the car is started but I plan to sell it soon and feel like it looks bad if the check engine light is on
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdyer
...and when all the other lights turn off like normal the check engine light remains on. it turns off when I start the vehicle but I was still worried there may be an issue or is this just what the check engine light does after it has been reset?
That's a perfectly normal cycle of the check engine light. My car does the same, and as far as I recall every OBD equipped car I've had worked that way. No codes or light when the engine is running means you're fine.