Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy 4wd shift position

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2016, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 4wd shift position

I have a 1976 Chevy Bonanza 4wd, short bed, 350 cid with auto trans. I am looking for any information on the transfer case lever position, where Chevy transfer case shift lever position is back for high with 4 positions of lock and unlock in the 70s. The problem is mine is forward for high with only two positions, high and low. This truck is from my deceased brother whom had taken apart the transfer case for rebuilding when they discovered it is not an NP203 and something they had never seen before where nothing from the rebuild kit for the np203 would work. After research he had told me that this truck is a prototype where there was some type of patent issue with Land Rover where G.M. lost the legal battle and that is the reason that Chevy transfer case position is back for high. I have been looking for an answer when I recently spoke to a person with a early 70s Land Rover and sure enough the transfer case is forward for high with only two positions with a manual clutch lock. Does anyone know of patent issue or if the NP203 can be configured for high forward?