Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy Captiva 2.4 Petrol 2007 Model - ECU/ECM dead

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2021, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Captiva 2.4 Petrol 2007 Model - ECU/ECM dead

I took my Chevy Captiva 2.4 Petrol 2007 Model in to a dealer, the issue was that the car sometimes misfired and cut out once or twice. They ran diagnostics with a scanner, shortly after that they called me to say that the car does not start at all now (the starter does not even turn over). They took it to an auto electrician, after a week they came back to me to say that there was some sort of electrical short that caused it to pull down the ECU/ECM, They quoted me over $1000 to have it repaired.

My question is: - Is it possible that the dealer's scan tool damaged the ECU/ECM or that they did something (i.e. short out the ECU/ECM) that caused it to break? any help / advice would be appreciated..

Regards,
Old April 18th, 2021, 9:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure exactly what "Starter does not turn over", means here.

Anything is possible, but need more info before any worthwhile suggestion could be offered. Usually, starter will crank over engine even if ECM is malfunctioning, UNLESS, security system is involved, which we don't know here now.
Let's see what other suggestions come up.
Old April 19th, 2021, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

​​​​​​​Hi, with "starter does not turn over", I mean the starter does not crank at all, nothing happens when you turn the ignition key. According to the auto electrician there was an electrical short that caused a chip on the ECU to blow, they now managed to find the short and replaced the chip, cost is more than $1000.

My questions is, is this a known issue on the Captiva (2007 model) and can it be coincidence that the short circuit came on exactly at the point where the mechanic were running diagnostics? To me it is quite obvious that the mechanic did something wrong?