Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Clicking/Tapping Sound Behind Dash Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2018, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking/Tapping Sound Behind Dash Passenger Side

2011 Chevy Impala

There is a clicking sound coming from behind the right passenger side of the dash. It also sounds like a tapping noise. When I turn the defroster **** it stops, then starts again. When I push the outside air button, it starts and stops again. When I turn the engine off, it starts again. My worry is that this thing will drain the battery and possibly cause other damage, maybe a fire because it keeps going. My thinking is that there is some kind of actuator or motor that opens and closes the outside air door to the heater. Not sure how to fix this, if this is the problem.

Has anyone had this problem before? How did you fix or solve it? Thank you for any ideas or suggestion you can offer.
Old June 26th, 2018, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

there are multiple servos or actuators for the heat and ac duct work. some are easy to replace, some you have to take the dash apart. what ever you do. do not plug the new part in before you install it.
Old June 27th, 2018, 2:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called the Door Blend Actuator;
it's probably the damper gear(s) that control your damper, between top & bottom/windows,
they are usually small plastic gears that can break or get stripped easily
(same as the ones that move power seats back & forth)

my dads was like $50 to fix

a little tip of the gear will break, or wear, & it catches, so that usually causes the clicking sound

Last edited by Gravydog316; June 27th, 2018 at 3:33 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

It sounds like the blend door. I had this on one of my cars and an engineer at work had the same thing. Took longer to find the dash disassemble on web and do it than the actual part replacement.