Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Coil signal?

Old February 14th, 2008, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil signal?

I've got an 88 k1500 that just shut off while I was driving almost like it was out of gas but it wasn't. I pulled the air filter and looked in the throttle body while someone else cranked it. Fuel was being injected just fine, so I put a timing light on the main wire to the distributor. No current. So I replaced the coil. Still nothing. I inspected the connectors going to the coil and checked for voltage on each of the 4 wires. They were all hot. Now what I don't know is what the 4 wires should be doing because their states don't change at all when it's being cranked. I thought maybe 1 or 2 should go low or even pulse to activate the coil. I have a wiring diagram for the truck and that doesn't really help. 2 of the wires are pink and the other 2 are white. Can anybody shed some light? Otherwise, I'm looking at just replacing the computer to see if that fixes it.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Coil signal?

Your problem is most likely the ESC module in the distributor. At least one of the white wires if not both should pulsate high low voltage. This module is about 35$ from napa. Give it a shot this sounds like your problem.
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: drmoeder

I've got an 88 k1500 that just shut off while I was driving almost like it was out of gas but it wasn't. I pulled the air filter and looked in the throttle body while someone else cranked it. Fuel was being injected just fine, so I put a timing light on the main wire to the distributor. No current. So I replaced the coil. Still nothing. I inspected the connectors going to the coil and checked for voltage on each of the 4 wires. They were all hot. Now what I don't know is what the 4 wires should be doing because their states don't change at all when it's being cranked. I thought maybe 1 or 2 should go low or even pulse to activate the coil. I have a wiring diagram for the truck and that doesn't really help. 2 of the wires are pink and the other 2 are white. Can anybody shed some light? Otherwise, I'm looking at just replacing the computer to see if that fixes it.
Were there any codes? If you used the timing lite on the coil wire, you have to be sure the coil wire is ok?

I'm not sure how you checked for a pulse reading? If your dmm has a tach setting--dwell setting---dutycycle setting, any of these will give a reading, if there is a pulse. If your just looking at voltage, I don't think that will work unless the meter has a min/max feature. If the meter averages the pulse reading then the voltage would be half compared to the B+ circuit, but the reading wouldn't pulse.

I looked up the ignition module in a parts book, it shows two connectors. The two wire connector, the wires are pink and white. The pink wire is B+ and the white wire is a tach signal. The wires at the coil may be the same.

I agree with the other person, if there is no pulse, check the ignition module or pick-up coil.
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

I used a logic probe that hasa pulse reading. I will try replacing the ESC. thanks for your help.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

That fixed it! Thanks a lot for your help!