Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cold Air Intake/MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Intake/MAF sensor

Not sure if the answer to this question is more about opinions than fax's. I have a 2012 Tahoe 5.3 and Santa brought me a K&N Blackhawk intake that has a dry washable filter instead of an oiled one. I have read that unless you replace the stock MAF with a more performance sensor you will not realize the max benefit from this intake. I called K&N and was told that this mod is not required to max out the benefit of the intake.....but replacing the factory sensor with one that provides more air seems logical. I also read that installing a TB spacer with this intake would show an improvement in gas mileage. Does anyone have any experience with this set up?
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct, its about options. The system will work fine as it is. You could install a TB spacer ($100) and you may notice a slight difference. Depending on you state of residency be sure it meet emissions standards or you could fail the smog test. As for the MAF I went cheap and removed the screen from my stock sensor and polished the feed ramp. Been years and still works fine but could spend another $100+ and buy an aftermarket MAF. Again, your choice!