Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Conrods - a rant.

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2014, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conrods - a rant.

So... I'm posting this to make myself feel a bit better about the impending weekend of maximum suckage - so please feel free to offer encouragement or any tips/tricks.

Last fall, I picked up a 350 already disassembled, all bolts bagged and labeled, etc. Having gathered all comps I needed to rebuild it, I started on the block. Crank's in (yes I'm re-checking with plastigauge when I have a second) and turns with only a little effort. Fine and dandy, no?

Long story short, I'm backing out and installing one piston at a time when I get home from work today. I installed two on the first journal from the back of the block - pistons slip in nice n tight but not too tight (about what one would expect), bolt up, and... crank's frozen. Loosen 'em up and the crank frees.

Before I get flamed, yes - I'm going to go back and plastigauge them.

I wonder if in the meticulous bagging/labeling process the guy I got this engine from mismatched the rods/caps when he was tearing it all down, thus adding a nice amount of strife to my weekend.

I'm sure I'll get 'em sorted out, but damn... this sucks.