Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cooling Flush questions

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cooling Flush questions

hello All,
I am new to this forum, so I hope I don't break any rules. I have the a 2000 Tahoe with 100,000 milesthat I will be driving from Cali to Utah in August, and I have not flushed the cooling system since 50,000 miles. I have the following questions.
Local dealership quoted 200$ to perform this service. Is this the right price.
If I decide to do it myself, should the thermostat be changed?
The fluid looks very good, I have no leaks, and I have never over heated, should I use aengine flush? or just water?
Lastly, what cooling fluid will make my 5.3 most happy? Is Dex-cool still the best?
Thanks in advance, as I have recently been layed off and can not afford to do the wrong thing here.
dj
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi DJacobs,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

If you break any rules, we're going to drag you out back and,well, you know the rest.

Not that I condone what the dealership charges, and for that much, I should certainly hope a new thermostat, and a radiator coolant overflow tank cap,(or radiator cap) is included. Naturally I assume they would use a power flusher.

Dexcool has fallen out of grace with many because it tends to sludge up systems, so I would also hope your friendly neighborhood dealership would be using a flush to eradicate all the dexcool, and all the associated sludge, before using the standard green antifreeze.(Prestone is a good brand name)

Otherwise, you may want to do the job yourself, to verify it's done right. Be sure to change the radiator cap and thermostat. Stant is a good brand name that's not hard to find, and very inexpensive.

Last edited by therewolf; August 17th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 4:39 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the fourm DJacobs

I would ask the dealer exactly what is included, $200 is not great but its not too bad if you don't have the time to do it, but I would agree with therewolf the price isn't too bad if all those items are included.
If you do it yourself I would recommend holding off until after your trip as maintenance items can some times need follow up and you really don't want to find out on your trip that you didn't purge all the air out of the system and now its over heating...
A couple thousand miles on the coolant at this point if the system is in good shape should be fine until you get back...

Just my .02 I try to do any scheduled maintenance about a mouth or so before a trip or wait until after I am back on home turf.
Old August 17th, 2010, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Therewolf and In2pro,

The price does not include cap, tank, thermostat, just labor/flush, and coolant. I am going to do this myself, and I will heed In2pro advice and wait, as the last thing I need is a down vehicle in 120 degree heat with a 2 year old and two labs.
Thank You and Cheers!
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree that in2pro is right about waiting till you get back to do the job.

The system will adjust much better during short trips, which will allow air to purge out of the system, in the event you miss any.

As to dealers, shop around, you'll find prices for a given job vary.

My lab was the best dog I ever had.
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

yep therewolf, I have two brothers and every day is an adventure!