Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cost to replace oil pan gasket in 2012 Chevy Impala

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2017, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to replace oil pan gasket in 2012 Chevy Impala

My wife's aunt took her car to the mechanic recently because of an oil leak. They told her she needed to have the oil pan gasket replaced. The cost was $1700. When I called them to ask how in the Hell a gasket can cost that much to replace, they began to explain how involved it was. My question is, is $1700 reasonable to replace in this make and model of car?

Thanks,

Andy
Old April 16th, 2017, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Which engine; it effects the labour time.

the 3.6L time is 10.5 hours x the door rate...add parts, gasket/sealant, filter and oil...then 1.5hrs for wheel alignment as the subframe must be removed to drop the oil pan.

12 hours x say $120hr door rate= 1440 labour
$60 parts =1500 plus tax and your pretty close.

Last edited by tech2; April 16th, 2017 at 9:19 PM.
Old April 17th, 2017, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I'd just like to clock engineers (and company executives) who do sh*t like this. This is some **** poor design. I can't believe all of that is required just to change the drain pan. Thanks for
the info though. At least now we know she didn't get screwed over like we had thought.
Old April 17th, 2017, 8:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you aren't wrong. I deal with it everyday but usually am getting hammered on the other end.
I was commenting to my coworkers on the flat rate time for this repair. Warranty time for the same job on a cummins 3500 diesel is under 4 hours. You would think a tiny car would be easier with computer assisted design. They make it to go together fast on an assembly line.
Gm engineers are pretty good compared to some brands.