Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

crank no start

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2018, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank no start

I have a 99 GMC Serria 4 wheel drive 4 door 5.3 1500 vortex (new body style) It ran perfect no idle issues at all, I parked it after work one day got in next morning and would turn over but no start, I'll list things I've checked or done (if enough room &#128514
1.checked spark (single coil for each plug) all sparked (still replaced them and plugs)
2.checked fuel pump (using the fuel port by rail) I was getting gas pressure (check showed 52 psi after 15 min had dropped to 45)
3. Checked and replaced the fuel pressure regulator (Had fuel coming out when pulling line)
4. Dropped tank drained all fuel cleaned tank reinstalled
5. Changed fuel filter
6. Just for laughs and to stop the "I bet the fuel pumps bad" from everyone, I changed fuel pump
7. Did olms test on all 8 injector's all read 11.4
8. Removed cover checked timing chain (my opinion was ok)
9. Purchaced code reader got only codes for admissions (p0449 Evap emissions System vent valve Soleniod) and (P0108 manifold absolute Pressure barometric Pressure circut high
10. Tried starting using starter fluid,(spraying into throttle body, Acted like it wanted to start but didn't)
11. Broke down called mechanic...Was told he would need to look at timing chain so I again ripped down and removed cover his opinion was it was stretched but didnt think enough to jump 😏 after scratching his head for a hour he did manage to get it to start using starting fluid but ran bad said was due to bad gas and needed to get some fuel injector cleaner and run it through lines...I have no faith in his opinion felt I got played but I do hvac not car work 😮.
With the codes I'm sure before getting code reader I lost codes due to losing power in battery over the time trying to start truck
12. Replaced the ECM then programed it or was told it did by key on 11 min off 30 4 times and security light did go off as I was told was a sign it was programmed ( No change at all in truck afterwards.
13. Again just for giggles I changed coil packs (Of course no change &#128514
​​​​​​When trying to start I get back fire sounds as though it wants to start but right before u think it's there Baam backfire 😥

Please help me out, I've all but pulled out the last 3 hairs on my head and I had alot of hair before this 😂

Old March 18th, 2018, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem. I also replaced distributor in mine, crankshaft sensor, and some connectors. I am getting the backfire explosion sounds from the valve cover area now. I called a mechanic and will let you know. Did you resolve your problem yet?