Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

dash lights don't come on and flash with turn signal

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash lights don't come on and flash with turn signal

hey guys,

i'm new to this forum and looking for a little bit of troubleshooting. and i'm sorry if this post shouldn't go in this section, if its to be moved, Admins please do so. thanks.

i have an '81 chev C10, 2WD, SBC 350, with the long box off of a '75 on it.

couple days ago, my steering column decided it wanted to break even more then it already was. my signal lever was loose and floppin all over the place. affected my steering, made it as though i had no power steering at all. but i would just jam some cardboard in behind it to hold it better and it lasted me since september. but doing that now doesn't work at all. the lever is totally busted, can't use my signals unless i hold it, and steering, well i have to feel like i'm the Hulk when i'm turning.

but anyways, a couple days ago when it finally went full on broken, my dash lights didn't come on when i pulled my **** to drive at night. rest of my lights come on outside the truck, singals worked and everything. but when i would turn right and use that signal, all the lights on my dash flash in unison with it. then when the signal is off, out go all my lights on the dash again. turning left however, just the signal would flash on the dash, the rest of it would stay dark.

recently purchased a used steering column from an 83 chevy, and have that in and all wired up the same way the old one came out, fits in great, steering works just fine again, but my dash lights still won't come on when i pull the ****, and turning right, the whole dash flashes. but again, turning left, just the left signal flashes.

i've checked fuses and everything seems fine there. so i have no idea what else it could be. anybody have any ideas as to what i could try/check??

thanks for your help everyone.
Old May 19th, 2012, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it figured out, fuses were blown after all