Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

defective fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2007, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defective fuel pump?

Hello, I own a 2000 express 1500 conversion van 5.7 liter engine.

about 2 weeks ago I went shopping and when I got into my van to go home, I started my van and it ran for about 20 seconds then it shut off. it would crank over but it would not start. the temperature on that day was about 20 degrees outside, I continued to try and start it until the battery died out. so I had it towed to my home.

I connected an actron code scanner to see if it had any trouble codes, but no codes. Then I turned the ignition to see if I could hear the fuel pump, no sound whatsoever. ThenI checked the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump fuse. They both checked out good. Then Idropped the fuel tank and took out the fuel pump.Then I bench tested it by running 12volts throughit-it functioned. So I removed the electrical harness from thefuel tank and I connected it back onto the harness. Then I opened theignition and the fuel pumpoperated for about 2 seconds which is the required time to prime the fuel lines.I putthe fuel pump back into the tank and replaced the tank backinto the van. At this time, I was using a booster pack to start the van due to dead battery. It started up fine. I let it run for a few minutes to let the battery charge. I shut down and attempted tostart again but the battery was dead due to sitting outside in very cold weather. So then I let the van sit for about1 week until Icould purchase a new battery. I installed the new battery and when I tried to start it, the fuel pump did not work at all. I have checked all the wiring and everything seems fine. Do you think the fuel pump is shot? Or could it be something else? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Strictly Chevy
Old February 25th, 2007, 6:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: defective fuel pump?

It could be. I had a 91 corsica in Little Rock that wouldn't start one night, the next day it did and make it almost to sherveport LA.
Old February 25th, 2007, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: defective fuel pump?

Im actually dealing with a similar thing with my dads truck right now. The pump went out 2 months ago, then i showed up to fix it and it had started working again,.... it worked for 2 months only acting up twice, now we cant get it to do anything.... Im pretty sure it needs a pump and i would bet yours does also.,...sorry