Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Desperately need help !

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2019, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Desperately need help !

Hello all ! and thank you for swinging by !

Are you the one that can help me ?
Do you hold the knowledge I desperately need ?
I hope so because I have issues , and I am entirely lost on how to resolve them .

Let me start off with the vehicle that is giving me these issues :
YEAR : 2001
MAKE : Chevrolet
MODEL : Impala
MILEAGE : 145,000
VIN: 2G1WF55E819112801

I'll try to be as precise and transparent as possible.

I purchased this Impala , it seemed to run and drive fine. I drove it roughly two hours back home the day I purchased it. I drove it for two days, gentle and respectful driving, just around my city. I put roughly 75 miles on this vehicle, and then it was time for a fill up. I was out driving and my low fuel light came on. I drove roughly 3 miles with the low fuel light on as I was trying to reach my nearest gas station, and suddenly the engine shut down . It did not sputter , shake, vibrate , I honestly didn't know the vehicle died until I felt no power steering. All my electronics stayed functional , radio , dashlights , etc . My initial thought was " Oh, I ran out of gas" so luckily, I was able to coast into the gas station I was trying to reach, I quickly pumped 10$ worth of 87 grade gasoline into it. I went to fire the vehicle and nothing, it would only spin, would not fire. I listened for the fuel pump, and I heard it cutting on. I grabbed some starting fluid from the gas station, sprayed it into the air box, and the vehicle fired up, but quickly died once the starting fluid burned. So I left the vehicle there that day, came back the next day, replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator , cleaned the EGR valve, replaced the fuel pump, and installed a new fuel filter. After turning the vehicle over for about 10 seconds, it fired up. I thought I fixed the issue. I quickly began heading home in the vehicle, I made it about a mile and the vehicle did the exact same thing as before, it died . I tried to fire it up, it would not fire. I checked my wire connectors on my new fuel pump, re did them. It fired up again, I began driving it, made it roughly a mile down the road, it died . IT HAS NOT RUN SINCE. I got the vehicle towed home, since then I have replaced both Crankshaft Sensors, and the Camshaft sensor.
I have checked the fuel pressure via the fuel rail, if I recall correctly it's making 56-58 PSI, I have checked for spark, it is sparking, it almost seems like it is not getting fuel.
I've checked all relays, and fuses that I know to check. I've read as many forums as I can find, I've seen alot about the security issue, ignition issue, BCM, ECM, but I'm lost on what to do. When I turn my key to the on position I have a security light on, but it does not flash. The red light on my radio flashes however. This vehicle did not come with a keyfob.

I saved up to purchase this vehicle, and I've only been able to drive it for two days, it's been about two months since it happened, I'm just hoping someone, anyone, can help me get this Impala running again.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:20 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

welcome from maryland

a few things, first is the loactions of fuses. you have three spots for them under the hood, behind the panel on the drivers side and behind the panel on the passengers side. not saying you missed the fuses but it took me some time after owning my 04 imp to notice the panel on the passengers side.

some quick things to check, injector pulse
12v at the pink wire on the injectors with KOEO (key on engine off)
voltage at both the crankshaft sensor and cam shaft sensor.
unplug the cam sensor's plug. with the KOEO, does red wire have 12 volts at it?
unplug the crankshaft sensor. with the KOEO, does the light green wire show volts?

if either one of those sensors dont show volts check the wiring for any breaks.
The following users liked this post:
CompletelyLostAtThisPoint (September 14th, 2019)
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much for your advice ! As for the wiring , I put the car on a lift to replace the lower crankshaft sensor, I noticed the wires were extremely charred , I assume they melted from the exhaust, but I went ahead and cut the harness and ran new wire to the sensor, I also checked for any other breaks in the harness leading to either sensor. I tested the fuse for the injectors with a light tester, and got no power .
At this point I have so much money tied up in a vehicle I can't even crank, I'm just looking for the lowest cost method of repair .
Old September 15th, 2019, 9:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you have a no crank and a security light...get the codes read. its a good starting point. theft codes will require a scan tool that can read body codes. a cheap code reader will not access body codes.

modern vehicles require a scan tool for diagnosis.
Old September 15th, 2019, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

The problem is finding someone around my area that can come out and do it.
What about getting an HP tuner and tuning it myself to remove the security ? Is this something that is rather difficult , or would it be easy to learn ?
Old September 15th, 2019, 1:44 PM
Super Moderator

I would check to see if its a theft problem before I buy anything.

hp tuners can remove the immobilizer? tuning and theft pre-release passwords are different stuff to my knowledge. I would check with hp tuners
Old September 15th, 2019, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

To my knowledge they can, or so I've been told. Is there any sure fire way to temporary disable the security ? I've read about keeping the key in the on position for ten minutes, which I have done and did not get any difference. Now I've read that if it doesn't work within the first ten minutes , repeat it up to three time for a total of 30 minutes with they key on. Is this legitimate ? Is this something worth trying again ?
Old September 15th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

the 10minute thing is a theft relearn. without a scan tool you must do it 3x repeatedly. for 30 minutes total. that is the procedure...I have no idea if it will work for you as I don't know your concern.
I'm not sure which security system your model year has. do you have a + or pk3 on the blade of the key?

there is no way to temporarily disable the security... other than fixing it. what point would that be to have a security system that anyone could defeat.
Old September 28th, 2019, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE ! Had the computer tuned and the VATS security removed entirely, still nothing ! I'm lost ! any ideas anyone ?
Old September 29th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

post a video and lets hear what it sounds like when its cranking.

for a crank no start...try spraying a 3 second spray of brake cleaner into the throttle body...if it starts briefly...you have a fuel problem. if you can hear the fp run and have proper fuel pressure as you have posted...check injector pulse with a noid light.

don't overdue the spray...wear safety glasses....a backfire into the manifold can blow it apart.