Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Differential questions/advice needed

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential questions/advice needed

1994 G20 Van, 5.7. The differential has started making a noise like a bearing is getting close to failing. It is not a whine, but more of a repetitive "wubba" type noise which is why I think it is a bearing. My problem is I am currently out of state from where I live, and I can't investigate this myself. I have been told by one shop it will be $1100 to replace the rear axle with a used unit, which I am trying to avoid. I have searched the internet for differential specialty shops in Charlottesville VA where I am at, but didn't find any. If anyone could provide any advice about this I would really appreciate it.

Also, I have been told by the mechanic of the same shop of the $1100 replacement that I shouldn't go on the expressway before getting this fixed. I have a feeling it isn't that bad. I know no one can guess how long before this differential would fail, but does anyone have any experience with a time frame for this type of problem?

Thanks
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bearings take a long time to fail...but i could be wrong as i havent heard your rear axle
Old February 5th, 2011, 2:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, take a long time to fail IF ever. They just will make a buttload of noise. As long as there is oil in the case drive it home.

Now with respect to your WUBBA WUBBA. Have you considered you have a bad tire on the rear? A bad tire would make a WUBBA WUBBA in a minute. Especially if the tread is beginning to separate AND that is dangerous.
Old February 6th, 2011, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice so far. The tires on the van are nearly 5 years old but they probably only have about 3000 miles on them. The van sat for about 5 years, I guess a flat spot could be possible but I didn't think that was supposed to happen to radial tires.

I am pretty sure what I am hearing is a bearing, whether it is the differential or wheel bearings I don't know. I want to take it to a shop to get the gear oil changed, and see if they will let me look at it with them. Hopefully I can get a little better idea from that, instead of taking one person's word that I need to drop $1100 on a used rear axle.

Thanks again, please add anything else you may think of.
Old February 6th, 2011, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Is it possible for this to be a brake drum rub or something like that. You say it was sitting for 5 years, not uncommon for the drums to collect rust and cause this type of noise.
Old February 6th, 2011, 6:32 PM
CF Veteran

No, brake drums dont rub and the parts inside wouldnt make a wubba wubba sound. It would be a metal rattling or grating sound.

Still sounds like a tire. 3000 miles, 5 years sitting is all irrelevant. They are old. They might not have been balanced. And tread separation can happen to any tires. They are all glued together.
Old February 6th, 2011, 6:34 PM
CF Veteran

No, brake drums dont rub and the parts inside wouldnt make a wubba wubba sound. It would be a metal rattling or grating sound.

Still sounds like a tire. 3000 miles, 5 years sitting is all irrelevant. They are old. They might not have been balanced. And tread separation can happen to any tire. They are all glued together.
Old February 7th, 2011, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

I will get the fluid changed and see if someplace will let me check it out with them. I will also see if I can get the tires rebalanced/inspected.

You said to drive it home, but I would be just a little paranoid... that's 600 miles to MI. I am actually not leaving until April. I'll see what I can find out and post back.
Old February 8th, 2011, 7:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

C&A in Richmond.(actually Mechanicsville)

Honest, fast, reliable.

Just in case you get stuck...