Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Dome Light problem

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light problem

I have a 2006 Impala LTZ, and lately I notice that the interior dome light does not come on when I open the drivers door. The lights come on when any of the other doors are opened. Is There a switch or sensor that detects when the door is opened???? I have looked all around the door perimeter, and I see Nothing that resembles a switch....Other cars I've owned all had a switch in the door, or jamb, but unless I'm blind, I don't see Any switches on this car. Any/all ideas appreciated.
Old March 17th, 2017, 5:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The switch is part of the door latch;
I'm guessing it's just sticking, or is loose (?)
also, there are wires behind your emergency brake, there COULD be a problem there..
...could also be the BCM (body control module) itself (that could be another cause.)
(my brothers a mechanic, & says, really it could be anything (a loose wire, a short, the switch is sticking...)

Last edited by Gravydog316; March 17th, 2017 at 5:15 PM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
The switch is part of the door latch;
I'm guessing it's just sticking, or is loose (?)
also, there are wires behind your emergency brake, there COULD be a problem there..
...could also be the BCM (body control module) itself (that could be another cause.)
(my brothers a mechanic, & says, really it could be anything (a loose wire, a short, the switch is sticking...)
Thanks for responding. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the drivers side door latch/switch. I just watched a U-tube video on this, and it doesn't look like too bad of a job. I did have all sorts of troubles with several other lights, etc., about 6 months ago, and had the BCM replaced....so I may just take this back to the dealer, and verify that the new BCM is working properly....while it's still under warranty, before I take action on the door latch. I suppose this car may be telling me its time to trade, but we've only got about 65K miles on it, and probably wouldn't get much on a trade in against a replacement vehicle which would cost between $30K to $40K.. Outside of normal oil changes, a set of tires, and a battery, we haven't had to put much money into this car....but, if it starts going downhill, I may have to look at new cars. .
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you don't want to spend more money than you need to